Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Favorite Curry Chicken from Japan

One of the most popular dinners at our
house. All the kids manage to be home for curry!
Many of you know that my husband is retired military. We spent 4 years in Japan and 4 years in Germany as part of our travels, a few other places as well. I found one of my favorite ways to learn about a countries culture was to explore craft stores and grocery stores. In Japan the craft stores were much harder, not only do you have a language barrier but alphabet as well. I took a few classes at the base and in the community. I learned to make washi eggs and a few other Japanese crafts. Then there is the foods. I love Japanese food and there is a lot more than just sushi! One of my families favorites is curry chicken. it is really simple to make and I hope your family will love it too.

I use the golden curry mix is one of our favorites. I used mild today, I often mix mild and medium. My girls don't like the spicier flavor, that is why I mix them.

For this dinner I used:
1lb chicken breast cubed
2 cups chopped potato
2 cups chopped carrots
2 packages golden curry mix (we also like the Vermont Curry brand)

I chop the 1 lb of chicken breast meat and potatoes and carrots. I use about 2 cups of each. Then the chicken is browned in a large soup pot. Then I add the vegetables and 5 cups of water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer about 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Finally break up the curry bars and stir in until the curry is dissolved and the sauce is thickened. Serve over rice. Yumm
It is almost ready just a bit more of a stir and simmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment