Friday, May 4, 2012

MIA due to MS

Sorry Dear Readers,

I have not blogged in over a week. I have been sick with a spring cold and those who also have a auto immune disease know that those colds hit us harder than the average person.  I started noticing it before I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) but once I was diagnosed I at least knew I wasn't just a wimp. The best way I can explain it is when you have an auto immune disease a cold makes you feel like you have the flu. The flu feels like pneumonia, etc. With MS you also have a mild increase of your typical symptoms. They call it a pseudo-exacerbation, a exacerbation is a flair of your MS symptoms and are often treated with round of steroids to suppress the immune system and limit damage done to the nervous system. Well a pseudo-exacerbation is symptoms being increased due to your immune system flaring up to fight an illness. The doctors don't want to use steroids to suppress your immune system because you need it to fight the illness and the possible risk of over steroid use, plus the symptoms go away when your illness does as well. 

Sorry if all of this is a little boring. I want to share the MS experience with my readers so we can increase awareness. I don't like to complain about my MS either because we all have a cross to bear in life and I don't want to be a burden. This disease has a risk of making me a bit of a burden and high maintenance, but I don't want it to be so as long as I have a choice, so I make a choice to be as active and low maintenance as I can. I do have symptoms each and everyday- I can no longer work full time in the classroom, but I am not able to collect Social Security. I have much in my life to be thankful for so that is where I try to focus my energy.

Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings. Take time to live to the fullest and bear whatever burden you may have with dignity.
Love always
Kiki

No comments:

Post a Comment